What is it?
Inflammation of the Achilles tendon usually near its point of insertion.
Athletes, joggers and other sports people are most commonly affected.
Signs and Symptoms
- Initially pain is experienced first thing in the morning or after activity
- There may be a swelling in the lower one third of the Achilles tendon
- May be hot or inflamed
- Pain elicited when standing on toes
- Rest, icing, anti-inflammatories
- Heel raise to rest the Achilles tendon
- Biomechanics to be addressed with orthotics/ simple insoles e.g excessive pronation
- Stretching programme